“A calm mind brings inner strength and self confidence, so that’s very important for good health.” – Dalai Lama
Although I was raised in the Jewish culture I have always been drawn to eastern philosophy, and the practice of meditation. Scientific studies have shown meditation to have so many benefits for your mental and emotional health. Especially these days with the nonstop bombardment of news, texts and tweets.. it’s so important take a minute to clear your head and get some peace of mind.
Here is a simple meditation exercise that I love and really helps with anxiety and stress. Find a quiet place, set a timer for 2 mins (or longer). Sit comfortably and close your eyes. Relax your body and take a few deep breaths. Think of a person or a place that you love, and smile.. Repeat daily!
For more simple meditation exercises check out Pocket Mindfulness
After researching many top 10 lists from other journalists, doctors and researchers, here are my 10 daily habits for optimal health and happiness. (Not in any particular order)
1) Drink lots of water, 8 glasses per day.
2) Eat 3 to 5 clean, light, organic (whenever possible) and balanced meals. Consume fresh juices and foods rich in antioxidants.
3) Breathe fresh air. Take some time to enjoy the outdoors, the sun, the breeze or a great view.
4) Practice good oral hygiene, brush your teeth for 2 mins, twice daily and floss.
5) Be active, make physical activity part of your daily routine. Exercise 20 – 30 mins. Try to include some yoga, cardio or strength training.
6) Practice your passion or hobby, spend 30 -60 mins on what you love to do.
7) Practice mindfulness: For 1-10 mins be present, (think positive thoughts) breathe deeply and smile.
8) Spend quality time with your family and friends.
9) Find joy, purpose and meaning in your work even on tougher days.
10) Be productive. Get something done for yourself and do something for others.
What are your favorite daily habits that bring you happiness? I would be interested in learning some from you!